Volunteer Culture: Coaching and Correcting
You just landed on an every-once-in-a-while series called Primer Posts, a curated collection of my favorite articles and books on one particular topic. These are the resources I usually point to when people ask about getting started on or getting better at the topic in question.
Each collection is designed to be an ever-evolving list as new material is written and new gaps are filled in. If you have an idea for a category for an upcoming Primer Post, let me know here.
- The Reason Our Volunteers Disengage
- Maybe Your Problem Isn’t Your People
- Defend Your Volunteers
- Help Them Help Them
- Hitting the ESRC Button
- On Carrots and Sticks and When to Use Which
- How to Challenge Your Volunteers
- How to Force a Volunteer to Care
- Q&A: How Do I Handle a Problem Volunteer?
- How to Defuse a Volunteer
- Are You Pandering?
- What to do When a Volunteer Lets You Down
- How to Help a Volunteer Step Away Gracefully
- The Two Things You Must Do Before You Fire a Volunteer
Top four books to buy today:
- Dare to Serve: How to Drive Superior Results by Serving Others (Cheryl Bachelder)
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable (Patrick Lencioni)
- Self Leadership and the One-Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership (Ken Blanchard)
- Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard (Chip Heath and Dan Heath)
- Click here for a full list of recommended titles.