Top Ten Quotes: Humble Roots
Last year I was introduced to Hannah Anderson via All That’s Good: Recovering the Lost Art of Discernment. I immediately embraced her writing style: lyrical, flowing, something that transports you to a slower pace, and at the same time convicting and arresting.
That’s why I added another of her books to this summer’s reading list. I spent a couple of weeks in Humble Roots: How Humility Grounds and Nourishes Your Soul. It did not disappoint.
Here are my top ten favorite quotes:
- You’re not God. I’m not God. None of us are God. But how often and how easily we forget this! How often we try to live beyond normal human limits. How often we try to do it all, to know it all, to be it all. And how often we end up stressed, anxious, and overwhelmed because of it.
- When we believe that we are responsible for our own existence, when we trust our ability to care for ourselves, we will have nothing but stress because we are unequal to the task.
- When Jesus calls us to take His yoke, when He invites us to find rest through submission, He is not satisfying some warped need for power or His own sense of pride. He is calling us to safety.
- Jesus Christ is the one who restores both our humility and our humanity.
- When we are consumed with God’s glory, we forget to worry about our own.
- The humble person seeks knowledge because the humble person knows how much she doesn’t know.
- …in order to prove himself “right,” the dogmatic man must prove everyone else wrong.
- We like to believe that we are self-made men and women. We like to believe that we possess what we have because of our hard work and intentionality and focus. But we do not. All is gift.
- Humble people understand that their work is no guarantee of success; but the humble also understand that the possibility of failure is no reason not to work.
- This is the governing dynamic in God’s upside-down kingdom: You go down in order to go up. You go low in order to go high. You humble yourself in order to be exalted.
See all the Top Ten Quotes books on Amazon:
Disclaimer: FTC watchdogs will probably want you to know that the authors represented did not ask for this endorsement, nor did they provide me with free swag in order to do so (unless specifically mentioned otherwise on the particular page). I’m just a really satisfied customer who wants to let you know where you can get some great products. So there. Further, if you order a resource from a link on any “Top Ten Quotes” page, I may receive a small affiliate commission from Amazon. If that bugs you, feel free to bypass my link and buy from a vendor of your choice. But still: buy it. I only promote books that have benefitted me and that I believe will benefit you.