I’m not a jump-on-the-bandwagon kind of guy, especially when it comes to pop culture. I probably should be, but I’m just not. I rarely get into TV shows when they’re actually on air…I usually start watching them after they’re in syndication. The latest and greatest book – although I might buy it – usually sits on my bookshelf until the cool factor has long worn off and nobody wants to discuss it once I’ve read it.
Movies are no different. I heard a conversation on one of the drive-time talk shows last week that reminded me that there are movies that I have still not seen, a fact that could get my Man Card taken away, at least on some of them.
Oh sure, I attempt to look like I’ve watched them. I have even (I’m almost ashamed to admit this) quoted lines from movies I’ve never actually seen. Poser.
But now it’s time to speak up…to come clean. In an effort to broaden my horizons, and risking the fact that this post has absolutely nothing to do with ministry, I share with you the Top Five Greatest Movies I’ve Never Seen. (A disclaimer: as a good Baptist boy, I’m not necessarily recommending any of these movies…remember I’ve never seen them. Some of them may indeed have very naughty content (i.e., dancing) which wouldn’t be proper for me to endorse. And yes, you’re welcome to warn me of that in your comments.)
- Braveheart: I know Mel Gibson paints his face blue, makes a big speech, yells “Freedom!”, and I just lost dude points by not having seen this. I know…no excuses…I should go to Blockbuster today.
- The Shawshank Redemption: no clue as to why this should be a movie I should watch, but everyone says it is, so I included it.
- Top Gun: as an 80’s teenager, I really can’t tell you why I didn’t watch this. Maybe I had a prophecy that one day Tom Cruise would jump up and down on Oprah’s couch and negate the movie’s coolness. Nevertheless, I know Spence Shelton has called me “Goose” in the past and I’m curious as to whether that’s a good thing.
- Terminator (I, II, or III): When Robert Patrick made a cameo in Wayne’s World (a movie I actually did see…several times), it took me a long time to figure out why everyone was laughing that this particular cop had pulled them over.
- Schindler’s List: ummm…nope.