Top Ten Quotes: Habits of Grace
Recently our staff team read through David Mathis’ Habits of Grace: Enjoying Jesus through the Spiritual Disciplines. I’m a multi-readthrough veteran of Spiritual Disciplines by Donald Whitney, so this was a fresh take on a needed topic.
Here are my top ten favorite quotes:
- God’s work does not make our work unnecessary; it makes it possible. (John Piper)
- We can’t make the favor of God flow, but he has given us circuits to connect and pipes to open expectantly.
- Grace sanctifies. It is too wild to let us stay in love with unrighteousness. Too free to leave us in slavery to sin. Too untamed to let our lusts go unconquered. Grace’s power is too uninhibited to not unleash us for the happiness of true holiness.
- We were made to meditate. God designed us with the capacity to pause and ponder.
- [On prayer] This is not a conversation we start, but a relationship into which we’ve been drawn.
- [Fasting] serves to “put an edge upon devout affections.” (Matthew Henry)
- We were made for rhythms of silence and noise, community and solitude. It is unhealthy to always have people around, and unhealthy to rarely want them.
- When we are people quick to speak, it takes Spirit-powered patience to not only be quick to hear, but to keep on hearing.
- Corporate worship does not merely inform our Christian walk, but heals us or transforms us in that moment.
- Disciplemaking is as massive as the Great Commission and as minute and seemingly menial as everyday life.
See all the Top Ten Quotes books on Amazon:
Disclaimer: FTC watchdogs will probably want you to know that the authors represented did not ask for this endorsement, nor did they provide me with free swag in order to do so (unless specifically mentioned otherwise on the particular page). I’m just a really satisfied customer who wants to let you know where you can get some great products. So there. Further, if you order a resource from a link on any “Top Ten Quotes” page, I may receive a small affiliate commission from Amazon. If that bugs you, feel free to bypass my link and buy from a vendor of your choice. But still: buy it. I only promote books that have benefitted me and that I believe will benefit you.