Top Ten Quotes: Don’t Burn Out. Burn Bright.
If you’ve been around for a while, you know the drill: when Jason Young writes a book, I buy it. He’s an endless fount of wisdom in my life, and even though his books now outnumber my kids, I’m still gleaning insight from him. He and his co-author Jonathan Malm recently released Don’t Burn Out, Burn Bright: How to Thrive in Ministry for the Long Haul. It seems that this has never been a more timely topic than in our current season.
Here are my top ten favorite quotes:
- Seasons of intense, hard work are a part of any high-performing leadership role. The problem is when hustle becomes a lifestyle instead of a short-term sprint to accomplish a goal.
- If you strive for perfection, you’ll never hit it and you’ll always be frustrated. But when the goal is improvement, you can actually see progress and have something worth celebrating.
- Healthy comparison comes from a place of teamwork rather than competition.
- …at some point, as the number of people we lead grows, we become a stopping point for our teams. We limit what they can do since everything runs through us.
- Expectations can hurt relationships.
- …you’re more than your job. And properly aligned values will help you understand that and operate from a place of health.
- We have to learn to rest – physically, mentally, and emotionally – if we’re going to maintain long-term, high-capacity leadership in a healthy way.
- Is it true that you can’t set boundaries [because of pressure from your boss], or is that your own perception?
- We can’t always sit in silence, but we can train ourselves in silent moments to hear God’s voice so we can identify it even in the chaos.
- Sensitivities…function best in the gaps between communication.
Disclaimer: FTC watchdogs will probably want you to know that the authors represented did not ask for this endorsement, nor did they provide me with free swag in order to do so (unless specifically mentioned otherwise). I’m just a really satisfied customer who wants to let you know where you can get some great products. So there. Further, if you order a resource from a link on any “Top Ten Quotes” page, I may receive a small affiliate commission from Amazon. If that bugs you, feel free to bypass my link and buy from a vendor of your choice. But still: buy it. I only promote books that have benefitted me and that I believe will benefit you.