Top Ten Quotes: Lead with Hospitality
Taylor Scott is an alum of Disney Parks and Resorts, Gaylord Hotels and Resorts, and Starwood Hotels and Resorts, just to name a few. The guy knows corporate hospitaility.
But he also knows personal hospitality, and how that affects the way we lead. Lead with Hospitality: Be Human. Emotionally Connect. Serve Selflessly is a book that benefits all of us. Scott helps us see how the way we treat our team has direct results on what we get from our team.
Here are my top ten favorite quotes:
- …before anyone is inspired to do anything, they must first feel something.
- [T]he essence of dynamic, inspirational leadership is also the ability to make people feel welcome, comfortable, and important. Welcome is a crucial first step.
- It’s our job as leaders leading with hospitality to connect with people on a human level so that we can inspire them to go to the next level.
- It takes humility and a heart for hospitality, to approach leadership as a vessel to serve.
- Leading with hospitality is the proven way to make sure our teams know it’s okay to challenge, ask why or why not, and most importantly, take time to study, learn, and develop.
- Leaders who lead with hospitality are in it for the long haul and the long game. They take the time necessary to connect, reconnect, teach, and reteach, while making sure people continue to feel important despite their mistakes.
- Insecure managers focus on winning the conversation in the moment, but dynamic leaders who lead with hospitality focus on connecting with and inspiring hearts and minds as part of the long game.
- …great leaders aren’t great as a result of their leadership-ness. They’re great because of their humanness.
- When leaders pause their own work, breaking from their calls, emails, analysis, preparation, and meetings to spend quality time with people on their teams, it’s very special. It’s special because it makes people feel special and important.
- Results have a funny way of working themselves out over time when you lead with hospitality. As relationships are fostered, trust is built.
Disclaimer: FTC watchdogs will probably want you to know that the authors represented did not ask for this endorsement, nor did they provide me with free swag in order to do so (unless specifically mentioned otherwise). I’m just a really satisfied customer who wants to let you know where you can get some great products. So there. Further, if you order a resource from a link on any “Top Ten Quotes” page, I may receive a small affiliate commission from Amazon. If that bugs you, feel free to bypass my link and buy from a vendor of your choice. But still: buy it. I only promote books that have benefitted me and that I believe will benefit you.