Top Ten Quotes: Multipliers
I fell in love with Liz Wiseman’s Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter from the first few pages. Alas, I read the book a couple of years ago and recently realized I’ve never delivered on a Top Ten Quotes post. I’ve quoted my favorite line from the book in a couple of posts (which you can see here and here), but it’s time to give a little more.
Here are my top ten favorite quotes:
- There is more intelligence inside our organizations than we are using.
- Some leaders seemed to drain the intelligence and capability out of the people around them…[f]or them to look smart, other people had to end up looking dumb. We’ve all worked with these black holes. They create a vortex that sucks energy out of everyone and everything around them.
- When leaders connect people’s natural passions and native genius to big opportunities, those people are used at their highest point of contribution.
- …when you become the leader, the center of gravity is no longer yourself.
- …the best leaders ask questions and let other people find answers.
- Micromanagers hand over work to others, but they take it back the moment problems arise.
- Sometimes a 90 percent solution executed with 100 percent ownership is better than getting it 100 percent right with a disengaged team.
- [On dealing with a boss who doesn’t see your talents:] Instead of trying to change your boss, focus on trying to better utilize his or her knowledge and skills in service of the work you’re leading.
- We need more than just geniuses at the top of our organizations; we need genius makers.
- How do you want to be remembered as a leader? Someone with a big personality? or someone around whom other people grew?
See all the Top Ten Quotes books on Amazon:
Disclaimer: FTC watchdogs will probably want you to know that the authors represented did not ask for this endorsement, nor did they provide me with free swag in order to do so (unless specifically mentioned otherwise on the particular page). I’m just a really satisfied customer who wants to let you know where you can get some great products. So there. Further, if you order a resource from a link on any “Top Ten Quotes” page, I may receive a small affiliate commission from Amazon. If that bugs you, feel free to bypass my link and buy from a vendor of your choice. But still: buy it. I only promote books that have benefitted me and that I believe will benefit you.