Top Ten Quotes: The Coaching Habit
Occasionally I’ll skim a book that was recommended to me, only to realize post-skim just how valuable the book was, and the need to go back for a deeper dive.
Such was the case with The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More and Change the Way You Lead Forever. Highly digestible and applicable, The Coaching Habit is a must-read for anyone in leadership, anyone who struggles to put “walk-away points” at the end of a conversation, anyone who has trouble helping people process the essential next steps (I tick off all of those boxes).
Here are my top ten favorite quotes:
- …the seemingly simple behaviour change of giving a little less advice and asking a few more questions is surprisingly difficult.
- When you’re talking about people…you’re not really talking about them. You’re talking about a relationship and, specifically, about what your role is in this relationship that might currently be less than ideal.
- Better options lead to better decisions. Better decisions lead to greater success.
- Focus on the real problem, not the first problem.
- When we each understand what the other wants, we’re in the middle of an interesting and worthwhile conversation.
- [On being “the rescuer” for others] …the real insult here – to your time, effort, and good intentions – is that the recipients may not even want or need what you’re about to give them.
- [On distraction in conversations] …the wheel is spinning but the hamster is dead.
- The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do. (Michael Porter)
- People don’t really learn when you tell them something. They don’t even really learn when they do something. They start learning, start creating new neural pathways, only when they have a chance to recall and reflect on what just happened.
- …the real secret sauce here is building a habit of curiosity. The change of behaviour that’s going to serve you most powerfully is simply this: a little less advice, a little more curiosity.
Order The Coaching Habit
Disclaimer: FTC watchdogs will probably want you to know that the authors represented did not ask for this endorsement, nor did they provide me with free swag in order to do so (unless specifically mentioned otherwise). I’m just a really satisfied customer who wants to let you know where you can get some great products. So there. Further, if you order a resource from a link on any “Top Ten Quotes” page, I may receive a small affiliate commission from Amazon. If that bugs you, feel free to bypass my link and buy from a vendor of your choice. But still: buy it. I only promote books that have benefitted me and that I believe will benefit you.